As a parent to one or more small children, you already know their well-being always comes first. So, what could be more important than ensuring your child’s safety? And what’s easier than taking a few simple steps to childproof your home?
Childproofing doesn’t have to be a big, expensive, or time-consuming project. If you’re prepared, you can expect to complete it in half a day or less. In exchange, you’ll be able to sleep soundly at night, knowing your home is as safe as possible.
Keep reading for the most effective ways to childproof your home.
15 Ways to Childproof Your Home
First, go through your home and count outlets, cabinets, and doors to get an idea of the amount of supplies you’ll need to buy. When you have those, you can move on to basic childproofing.
1. Put safety plugs in all electrical outlets.
2. Latch all cabinets and drawers containing dangerous items.
3. Install locks on all doors you don’t want your child to have access to. Optionally, install finger guards to prevent pinching.
4. Depending on the age of your child, install toilet latches.
5. Secure all windows and tie blind cords and drapery out of reach.
6. Set your hot water heater at 120° F or lower.
7. Use knob covers for your stove, or remove knobs when not in use.
8. Move electrical cords and wires well out of reach.
9. Bolt furniture to the wall, especially tall or heavy pieces.
10. Take a look at your decor items and make sure none are small enough to choke a child. Also remove any that are breakable or especially heavy.
11. Install baby gates at the top and bottom of stairs if you have very young children.
12. If sharp corners are a problem, you can install padded guards or cushioned strips.
13. Make sure houseplants are out of reach.
14. Remove pet supplies, such as food and water bowls and litter boxes.
15. Consider using placemats instead of tablecloths, as small children like to tug on them.
Once you’ve addressed basic safety issues, it’s important to assess any specific needs in your home. Do a walk through, room by room, and try to think like a child. Don’t leave anything important, special, or potentially dangerous within reach.
Are You Moving To a New Home?
Consider hiring professional movers like Ameritex. Our expert home movers will give you that extra peace of mind during what could otherwise be a stressful time. And every moment you free up is time you can spend with your family.
You can rely on Ameritex to provide you with a stress-free moving experience. We’re familiar with all Houston Area suburbs and neighborhoods. If you’re after an all-inclusive package, check out our full service moves.
Call us today at 713.484.6683 to schedule your next move.