Every relocation is a big event. But for families preparing for a military move, it can be even more complicated. For starters, a commander assigns the city where you'll reside. You must deal with piles of paperwork and arrange a leave of absence to search for a new home. Spouses and children must adjust to a new home, whether they’re ready or not.
Fortunately, there are many ways to make the transition easier for everyone. Here are some tips from seasoned military movers, as well as important information from the IRS and branches of the Armed Forces.
Tips for Your Military Move
Don’t miss out on the chance to recoup some of your moving expenses. Members of the U.S. Armed Forces who are permanently relocating may qualify for an income adjustment.
Military spouses.com is a great resource for smart moving tips specifically regarding military family moves. We noticed a few common themes when reading interviews:
- While some military families save money moving themselves, many agree that it’s worth it to hire an experienced local or long distance movers.
- When packing, color code and label boxes by room to save time.
- Carefully inspect your belongings for damage before you sign any sort of inventory sheet.
- Thoroughly research your new city. When you are house hunting, look at crime rates and schools in particular.
- Keep important items with you during your move. These include sensitive documents and everything you will need right away.
- Make friends and build community as soon as you get settled.
These suggestions are sure to come in handy, especially if this is your first time relocating in the military. If you’re Army or Navy, you may have some different requirements. Read them carefully and keep on top of your paperwork.
It’s clear from the Army Family Strong relocation website that the United States Army truly cares about its soldiers and their families. You’ll find everything you need to get started with your move, from relocation counseling to information about reimbursement.
If your family is making a military move in the Greater Houston Area, Ameritex is proud to serve you. We love our servicemen and women, and we specialize in stress-free moves. To learn more, fill out the form for a free moving quote.