If your company is large enough to occupy multiple levels of an office building, you’ll need a game plan — and a good one — when it comes to moving. We don’t have to tell you how paramount it is that you outline each detail as you prepare to relocate your business. In addition to the general procedures of any typical office move, there are some special guidelines you should follow if your company spans multiple floors. We’ve outlined them for you below.
Helpful Tips for Moving Your Multi-Level Office
Designate a move committee.
The responsibilities of your move committee could include:
- Distributing information to employees through meetings, intranet, and memos.
- Handling change of address.
- Communicating with existing customers and vendors about the move.
- Setting up a lost and found at both locations.
- Making employees as comfortable as possible with break rooms, gyms, rest areas, etc.
- Reserving elevators in both buildings.
- Coordinating with the new building, like adding your name to the lobby directory.
- Setting up storage facilities, if needed.
- Hiring a cleaning crew to do a deep clean after you move out of your building.
Coordinate your team members.
1. In addition to your professional office movers, you may want to consider hiring a move management consultant. This allows you to outsource mundane moving tasks that often eat up more time than you’d like.
2. Get managers involved. They should be liaisons, in addition to giving you information on their particular floors, such as floor plans and individual needs.
3. Create PR for the move as needed. Consider having an open house or welcome party for your clients and vendors.
4. Arrange for IT to come in right behind you and set up. Find out if a specialist should handle moving your sensitive equipment, such as fax machines.
5. Assign supervisors to be at both the old and new location to meet the movers. Additionally, they can be the ones to conduct final walk-throughs before and after the move.
6. Finally, have all managers round up items you need to turn in to your landlord, like key cards and parking passes. Keep detailed records of who has what, and mark off each individual item as you receive it.
What’s the Next Step in My Multi-Level Office Move?
Are you planning a large-scale office move in the Houston Area? Ameritex Houston can help. Our office movers have experience in every part of the city. We offer full-service, stress-free moves including packing, unpacking, and transport for moves of any size. Contact us for more information, or fill out the form at the top of the page for a complimentary moving quote.