Getting a fresh start in a new city is an exciting time in life. Maybe you’re moving for work or to continue your education. Perhaps you’re relocating to be closer to a loved one. Or, you simply want to begin a new chapter in your life.
Whatever the case, it’s unwise to pick up and move without knowing anything about your future place of residence. That’s why we’ve assembled a task list to make your transition as smooth as possible.
Six Things To Know Before Moving to a New City
1. Visit beforehand to get your feet wet.
If you can, spend at least a couple of weeks exploring the area. Try to identify your favorite parts of town — places you could see yourself living. From there, get a feel for the city and find some good restaurants, shopping centers, and entertainment options. If you have time, locate medical professionals, salons, pet care providers, libraries, and post offices.
2. Research the cost of living.
It’s best to make sure there are no financial surprises when you relocate. Create a spreadsheet to compare your current area with the new one. Consider aspects like housing, food, gasoline, and tuition.
3. Line up a job if you haven’t already.
Employment is not a given, so be sure to ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the employment rate in my new city?
- What is the average salary for my field?
- How is the job outlook for someone in my field in that particular area?
If you feel encouraged by your answers, start networking and get your resume out.
4. Get plugged in socially.
Making friends is important for your overall well-being. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Reach out to friends and see if they have contacts in your new city.
- Use social networks to find local acquaintances. You never know who might be in your area.
- Join interest groups, sports leagues, book clubs, etc. before your move.
5. Set a date and hire professional movers.
While it’s possible to move to a new city with minimal help, that’s an added stress on top of an already overwhelming situation. However, there are ways to save on cost. Reputable companies like Ameritex Movers will work with you to tailor their service to your budget.
Are You Shopping Movers in the Greater Houston Area?
For the ultimate in stress-free moves, look no further than Ameritex. We are the smart choice for individuals looking to move to, from, and within Houston. Our experienced moving crews know all of the neighborhoods in the city, as well as surrounding areas like Katy, The Woodlands, and Pearland.
Get a free moving quote by filling out the form at the top of the page, or contact us today for more information.