When you picture your dream home, it probably comes with a picture-perfect garden, too. But that’s not always a reality, and oftentimes, you have to do that work yourself. Fortunately, though, a little landscaping can go a long way when it comes to upping your home’s curb appeal. Whether you’re a new or intermediate gardener, we could all use some fresh inspiration. Read on for some great landscaping advice to make your house the hottest on the block.
Landscaping Advice for Houston Residents
If you live in a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association, such as Cinco Ranch, make sure your landscaping is consistent with the neighborhood requirements. You don’t want to invest too much time, energy, and money into your lawn upkeep to be told you are violating the community guidelines. For example, residents of Cinco Ranch have an approved plant list they must follow. Certain types of trees are only allowed in the backyard, and there are minimum sizes to abide by as well. Do your research before you begin a major landscaping project.
Before you start on a gardening or landscaping project, you’ll need the right tools first. Some can’t-live-without gardening tools include:
- Gardening rake
- Digging fork
- Garden shears
Before you plant, be sure to evaluate the type of soil you have and how the sun hits your land.
A key piece of landscaping advice is to pick a color scheme and don’t go overboard. Keep the color wheel in mind: contrasting colors look best together. You also want to have a healthy balance of shapes, textures, and movement. Making a diagram beforehand helps the planning efforts tremendously. You also want to have an idea of the “look” you’re aiming for, too. For example, do you want a tidy geometric design or a more bohemian wildflower look?
Once you’ve made a plan, researched what grows best at what times in your area, and checked with your neighborhood requirements, you can finally get gardening. Give your plants some space to breathe, develop a maintenance schedule, and get ready to watch your garden grow.
Other Ways to Spruce Up the Front
Not much of a gardener? That’s totally fine! You can still improve the appearance of the outside of your home, even without a green thumb. Consider some of these other ways to up your curb appeal:
- Dress up your front door. Refinish it, give it a fresh color, or change the hardware. A colorful front door can really make a statement.
- Get a new mailbox. This is not an expensive upgrade, however, it can really bring some personality to the front of your house. (Once again, check with the city or neighborhood guidelines before taking on this project.)
- Add new numbers to the front of your house. This is another fun, simple way to add some character. The style of numbers you choose can add a modern, vintage, or quirky look — whatever reflects your personality and taste.
- Add some outdoor lighting. Landscape lighting is an easy way to bring attention and style to your yard. Solar-powered lamps for the garden are always a nice, eco-friendly touch.
- Consider adding some exterior design pieces, like a tasteful birdbath or funky wind chime.
- Replace gutters and spouts. This is a bigger job, but it brings both form and function together.
If you need help moving into a house with great curb appeal or into one whose potential you’re ready to reach, we can help. Ameritex Home Movers has been helping families move into their dream homes since 2001. We’re honored to serve the Houston community, and we’re proud to have 95% of our business come from word-of-mouth referrals. Give us a call today at 713.484.6683 so we can see how we can help your next move.