Laura Ingalls Wilder once said, “Home is the nicest place there is.” While most of us probably agree, it may not always feel that way when you buy a new home or move into a new apartment. Maybe your place calls for a little extra love or new decor. Chances are you’re facing a mile-long to-do list.
Whatever the case, home doesn’t feel like home until you’ve gotten settled. We know it can be overwhelming, so we’ve done the legwork for you. Read on to find out some helpful tips for moving into an apartment or a new house.
Important Things to Do When You Move
Regardless of the type of residence, there are a few items that take precedence as soon as – or even before — you move. Use this helpful checklist below with links to local resources to get ready for your move. (If you’re new in town, we know just how overwhelming this can be!)
- Research your options and set up your utilities
- Change your mailing address. Find your nearest post office.
- Update your driver’s license and car registration.
- Find professionals in the area — doctors, dentists, hair stylists, or whatever you need.
- Update your emergency contacts as needed.
Once you’ve finished those tasks, you can focus on more interesting matters.
Moving In Your New Apartment
Because apartments are often small, moving in can be a challenge. With tight hallways, it’s easy for your place to overflow with boxes. Here are some ideas to efficiently unpack, settle in, and start loving your new place. Make your new apartment feel homey from the start!
- Clear a path so you can move around easily while you’re unpacking.
- Set up your favorite items as soon as possible.
- Unpack linens quickly and make your bed. The same goes for your kitchen and bathroom.
- Pick at least one room to fully unpack so that you have an escape.
- Focus on what you love about your new apartment. Does it have a gorgeous kitchen? Is that spacious living room to die for?
- Figure out which areas could use a quick update, such as new curtains or trendy vinyl wallpaper.
With smart unpacking and strategic decorating, you can make the most of your small space and have a smooth apartment move. Follow these steps, and you’re sure to feel at home in no time.
New Home Checklist
We’ve compiled a new home checklist tailored for the challenges that come with owning a home.
- Take extra security measures like changing locks and alarm codes.
- Locate your circuit breaker and water shutoffs. Make sure you know how to work everything.
- Go over your HOA rules.
- Find out about pickup for trash and recycling.
- Change simple things as you wish, like painting rooms or making small repairs.
- Unpack one room at a time, but start with important spaces like the master bedroom and kitchen.
- Don’t get overwhelmed. You have time.
- Meet your neighbors. They probably know a thing or two about your home, and they can look out for you in times of need.
Moving into your new residence is only the beginning. While getting settled can be one of the most fun parts of a move, it can also be daunting. Remember that a few key tasks will make all the difference in streamlining your experience.
If you are planning a move to the Houston area, we can help. We have extensive knowledge of the area, years of experience, and a move day guarantee. Fill out the form for a complimentary moving quote!