When you think of famous characters who live in apartments, you might summon images of Don Draper, Carrie Bradshaw, or the cast of Friends. Apartment living can be fun, exciting, and sometimes downright glamorous. But have you ever seen an episode focused on characters moving out of their apartment? It probably wouldn’t make for the best ratings. In real life, by planning out each step of your move, you can turn a potential headache into a fun, stress-free journey to your new place.
Check out our apartment moving checklist so you know exactly what to do and when for moving time.
Apartment Moving Timeline
2 Months Before Moving:
- Book your movers — this is essential, especially during busy seasons like summer.
- If you’re moving from one apartment to another, give your apartment management notice, since most require 30-60 days.
1 Month Prior:
- Declutter to get rid of items you don’t need and make packing easier.
- Notify the post office in advance to forward your mail.
- If you’re moving to a new part of town, find new service providers. This includes doctors, hair stylists, schools, veterinarians, and more.
- Schedule utilities to transfer from your old place to your new apartment.
- Buy packing supplies.
2 Weeks Prior:
- Start packing. Begin with items you won’t need until you move, such as books, seasonal clothing, and decor.
- Check with the new complex about reserving parking and the elevator for moving day.
- Consider hiring a cleaning crew for move-out at your old apartment.
1 Day Prior:
- Prep appliances for the move — unplug electronics, and empty kitchen and laundry appliances.
- Pack items you needed at the last minute, like cleaning supplies and food.
- Pack a box of things you’ll need ASAP at your new place. Don’t forget about snacks, bedding, and important documents.
- Supervise the move if you hired professionals.
- Make sure your apartment is immaculate — consider taking pictures for documentation purposes.
- Do a walk-through of the new place and carefully inspect everything, down to the last light bulb.
- Unpack necessities first.
Using this apartment moving checklist helps ensure you have a smooth, stress-free move.
Are You Moving Apartments in the Houston Area?
No doubt you know all about basic moving services like loading, unloading, and transport. But at Ameritex Houston, we also offer a comprehensive, full-service move that includes packing and unpacking your belongings. With over 15 years of experience in Houston, we are familiar with all areas of the Inner and Outer Loop. Our apartment movers handle your big day so you can focus on getting settled in your new place. Contact us today for more information, or fill out the form at the top of the page for a free moving quote.