What’s one of the most important yet often overlooked aspects of moving? It’s not organizing or packing — those are no-brainers. Instead, it’s cleaning! That’s because, for renters, your security deposit is entirely dependent on the condition your place when you move out. And that includes cleanliness. Read on to find out the top cleaning hacks to guarantee your deposit back, and what you should do before settling into your new home.
Cleaning Hacks for Moving Out
Whether it’s a house or apartment, these are must-dos for move-out time.
First of all, don’t pack up your cleaning supplies for the move. Leave them out and easily accessible. You’ll want to use these at least twice: first, to clean your old home once all the furniture is out, and again in the new place before all your things are moved in.
- Remove nails and screws from the walls and use bar soap to fill the holes.
- Dust everywhere: fans, ledges, surfaces, and baseboards.
- Vacuum carpet.
- Sweep and mop floors.
- Wash windows and blinds.
- Take out the trash.
- Empty out all drawers, cabinets, and the pantry.
- Wipe down all surfaces.
- Clean countertops and cabinet doors.
- Scrub the sink and faucet.
- Clean out the refrigerator and wipe down all drawers and shelves. Make sure you don’t leave any food inside! Do the same for the freezer.
- Clean the oven with steel wool.
- If you have a gas stove, remove the burners and clean underneath. For an electric stove, wipe the top with a disinfectant and scrub away.
- Empty all drawers.
- Wipe down all surfaces.
- Thoroughly scrub and bleach the toilet.
- Clean and scrub the bathtub or shower floor.
- Mop the floor.
- Make sure nothing is left behind.
- Dust surfaces, especially window ledges.
If you follow these cleaning hacks, you can bet on getting your security deposit back. Even if you’re not a renter, it’s still common courtesy to leave the place clean behind you.
How to Clean When You’re Moving In
A major buzzkill to the excitement of moving in is discovering your new home is dirty. There’s a definite ick factor that comes with knowing the grime and dirt were left behind by a stranger. Fortunately, though, that’s not always the case. Your new place may be absolutely pristine. However, regardless of its condition, a little cleaning is always a wise idea.
Here are some cleaning tips for moving in:
- Clean before the movers arrive to avoid chaos.
- Dust surfaces and light fixtures.
- If there’s carpet, consider getting it professionally steam-cleaned.
- Inspect and wipe down the refrigerator.
- Replace the filter on the air conditioner.
- Repeat the same process you did on move-out to the stove and oven.
- Clean inside kitchen cabinets and add liners.
- Wipe off grease spots from the walls.
- Vacuum all floors.
Cleaning the new place is probably the last thing you want to do when you first move in, but it makes a big difference. You’re literally giving yourself and your family a fresh start and claiming the place as your own. It may not be fun in the short-term, but you’ll be so glad you took the time to do it.
If you need help moving into a new place, give Ameritex Movers a call at 713.484.6683. Or, you can always fill out the form above for a free moving quote.