Organization is one of the most critical aspects of a successful move. After all, you'll want to easily see if everything made it to your new place safely and soundly. For that reason, Ameritex Movers is here to help with tips on finding moving boxes in Houston and effectively organizing your belongings.
Where to Find Free Boxes in Houston
Before spending part of your moving budget on boxes, try out these locations to score free moving boxes in Houston:
- The Craigslist “Free” section
- Book, liquor, and grocery stores: These stores have boxes available in various sizes.
- Supercenters: Walmart, Costco, and Sam’s receive shipments several times a day. Give your local store a call to find out when would be the best time to pick up those boxes before staffers break them down for discard.
- Neighborhood restaurants: You may be able to score sturdy liquor boxes here.
- Friends and family
- Social media: Post a request for boxes to your followers and in neighborhood resources or “for sale” pages
- Your moving company: Ask your moving company if they can provide you with any free packing supplies or boxes. For example, Ameritex offers free wardrobe box rentals with every move.
Buying Shipping and Moving Boxes in Houston
Small, medium, and large boxes are available through Ameritex Movers. We also offer eco-friendly GoGoBoxes. These durable and stackable plastic boxes are recyclable, so simply return them after your move.
If you want to look elsewhere, you can find shipping and file storage boxes at Office Depot/Officemax and other area retailers. Shipping boxes are great for storing bills and other important papers during your move.
File storage boxes are perfect for packing DVDs and CDs, books, small appliances, and more. You can keep these boxes after your move and use them in your home office, garage, or anywhere else in the house that you need storage.
How to Choose the Right Box
Choosing the right box for the job is important and can save your belongings from damage and your back from aching. Here are the best ways to organize your belongings by box size.
- Small boxes - These come in 1.5 and 2.3 cubic foot sizes. The smaller ones work well for packing those files, folders, and notebooks from your home office. The larger size is perfect for CDs, DVDs, canned goods, and tools.
- Medium boxes - The 3.0 cubic foot boxes are just right for packing small appliances, small power tools, pots and pans, kitchen linens, and small toys and games. For linens, backing sheets, folded clothes, toys, comforters, and other large bulky items, use the 4.5 cubic foot box.
- Large boxes - There is a 5.2 cubic foot dish pack designed for fragile items like dishes, vases, and glasses. The 6 to 6.5 cubic foot boxes work for toys, blankets, pillows, and stuffed toy.
When packing these boxes, be sure to label them with the room they intended for in your new home to keep yourself organized.
Now that you have the supplies, you’re ready to go! Fill out the form for a free moving quote from the stress-free Houston movers.