When it comes to moving, it can be difficult keeping up with the various moving tasks and when to do them. So, to help you keep track of what to do and when, we’ve created the ultimate moving checklist for you. Bookmark or print this image to help you keep track of everything you need to do.
Moving Checklist and Timeline
1-2 Months Before Your Move
- Coordinate your movers. It’s especially important to do this early if you’re moving during a busy season, or if you want a popular timeslot, like during a weekend or morning.
- Give proper notice to your landlord before moving out. Read your lease to find out how much advance notice you need to give.
- Notify the post office of your address change.
- Transfer utilities to your new place.
1-2 Weeks Before Moving
- If you’re moving into an apartment complex, find out management’s policy on elevator and parking lot reservations. Make them if needed.
- Pack your non-essentials first. These are items like seasonal and special-occasion clothing.
- Have fun exploring the new neighborhood.
- Ask your moving company any last-minute questions.
1-2 Days Before
- Clean your old apartment unit, and consider hiring professional cleaners. This will help guarantee you get your deposit back.
- Inspect your new place. Carefully investigate the condition of everything in your new home. Check out the flooring, test appliances, plumbing, and electrical wiring.
- Make sure everything is properly packed, organized, and labeled. Color code your packing.
- Prep your appliances for move-out. Make sure everything is clean, and unplug your refrigerator if needed. Ask the building owner about how you should handle this.
- Make sure the new rental is squeaky clean before you start moving all of your stuff inside. Do this before the movers arrive.
- After everything is in your new place, do a final walk-through to make sure you’re not missing anything.
- Unpack your necessities and overnight box first.
- Enjoy your new home!
Watch the video below for more details on your moving checklist:
Looking for the Best Movers in Houston?
Ameritex Movers has an excellent reputation for making moving easy and fun all over the Houston area. Fill out the form above for a stress-free moving quote. We are licensed and insured home, office, and apartment movers. We can help you accomplish everything on your moving checklist. Call us today!