Congratulations on your new place! However, house or apartment hunting is only the beginning. You still have to get all of your belongings from A to B in one piece.
When it comes to moving, it can be difficult keeping up with the various moving tasks and when to do them. So, to help you keep track of what to do and when, we’ve created the ultimate moving checklist for you.
For your convenience, we’ve included a thorough moving checklist, a more compact infographic, and a fun video. Once you have a handle on the big picture, the infographic and video will help you remember all the main points. No matter your prep style, be sure to carefully read through everything. We recommend bookmarking or printing the infographic to help you keep track of everything you need to do.
Sticking to a smart timeline can make the difference between a smooth moving process and a moving disaster. You’ll save yourself time and stress by letting this master moving checklist guide your move.
Moving Checklist and Timeline
1-2 Months Before Your Move
Some people tend to procrastinate the details of their move. Don’t let this happen to you — it’s easy to stay ahead of the game if you work a little at a time. Starting early is the easiest way to stay on track.
- Coordinate your movers. It’s especially important to do this early if you’re moving during a busy season, or if you want a popular timeslot, like during a weekend or morning.
- Give proper notice to your landlord before moving out. Read your lease to find out how much advance notice you need to give.
- Notify the post office of your address change. Other places you’ll need to contact include:
- Your employer
- Banks and lenders
- Government facilities
- Memberships and subscriptions
- Schools and churches
- Care providers
- Transfer utilities to your new place.
- Arrange for home or renter insurance.
- Start thinking about your belongings. Specifically, what will you take and what will you leave behind? Make arrangements for any items that require extra coverage or specialized packing.
- Keep all moving contracts, receipts, checklists, and inventories in one place. A binder or accordion folder is ideal to keep track of all your important documents.
1-2 Weeks Before Moving
At this point, your biggest concern is probably packing. Don’t panic — you still have a reasonable amount of time to get it done. Instead of allowing the packing process to consume you, take breaks to work on other tasks.
- If you’re moving into an apartment complex, find out management’s policy on elevator and parking lot reservations. Make them if needed.
- Pack your non-essentials first. These are items like seasonal and special-occasion clothing. Then go room by room.
- If possible, take some time to explore your new neighborhood. Scope out the places you’ll need first, like schools, medical care, and restaurants.
- Ask your moving company any last-minute questions.
- Make an inventory list. Know how many boxes you have for each room, as well as furniture items. A reputable moving company will keep track for themselves, but it never hurts to have a backup.
1-2 Days Before
You’re probably feeling the pressure by now. Moving day is imminent, and you’re wondering if you’re going to make the deadline. But if you’ve stuck with the checklist so far, your remaining tasks are reasonable. Don’t give up now — you’re almost at the finish line.
- Clean your old apartment unit, and consider hiring professional cleaners. This will help guarantee you get your deposit back.
- Inspect your new place. Carefully investigate the condition of everything in your new home. If you’re buying a home, your realtor will walk through with you. But if you’re renting, you have more at stake. Check out the flooring, test appliances, plumbing, and electrical wiring. Make notes and snap pictures. All of this will ensure you aren’t left with hefty fines when you move out.
- Make sure everything is properly packed, organized, and labeled. Color code your packing.
- Prep your appliances for move-out. Make sure everything is clean, and unplug your refrigerator if needed. If you rent, ask the building owner about how you should handle this.
- Take your valuables from their safe place, and keep them with you at all times during the moving process.
- Finalize which items will come with you, instead of in the moving van. Remember to verify what your movers can’t move.
The day has finally arrived — all of your hard work is paying off!. While moving day can be hectic, take some time to snap pictures and make memories. Let your movers take over, and enjoy it as much as possible. The hard part is over!
Keep reading for other ways to ensure your move goes off without a hitch.
Before Your Movers Arrive
- Keep pets and small children out of the way, both for their own safety and the ease of moving. You might consider having them stay with a friend or relative for the duration of the move. This will make them more comfortable, away from the stress of moving.
- Do a sweep of your old home, both before and after the movers do their thing. Be sure to double check easy-to-miss places like bathroom cabinets and hall closets.
- Make sure your new home is squeaky clean before you start moving all of your stuff inside. It’s much easier to do a quick spot clean than it is to work around boxes and furniture. Do this before the movers arrive.
After Your Movers Leave
- Tip your moving crew — they worked hard today!
- Check your utilities first thing. Nothing could be more irritating than getting all moved in, and finding that you have no power.
- After everything is in your new place, do a final walk-through to make sure you’re not missing anything. Check that inventory list.
- Unpack your necessities and overnight box first. Make the process enjoyable by cranking up some fun music. Enlist friends and family if you can, and take lots of breaks.
- Enjoy your new home!
Watch the video below for more details on your moving checklist:
Looking for the Best Movers in Houston?
Ameritex Movers has an excellent reputation for providing a Stress-Free Move all over the Houston area. We’ve topped industry lists for over a decade. Time and time again, our customers return to us for all their moving needs. In addition, we enjoy a referral rate over 95%. We are licensed and insured home, office, and apartment movers. Whether you’re moving to a swanky mansion in Bellaire or a trendy loft in West University, we’ll get the job done smoothly.
Whatever you need, Ameritex can customize a moving experience just for you. Our friendly customer service representatives will be with you every step of the way. Once you let us know the specifics of your move, we’ll take care of the details. In addition, we work with nearly any budget or circumstance. Our services include:
- Packing and unpacking
- Loading and unloading
- Safe and timely transport
- Full-service moving packages
- Moving and packing supplies
- Home staging
- Senior moves
- Heavy or hard-to-move objects
- Last-minute moves
Fill out the form above for a stress-free moving quote. We can help you accomplish everything on your moving checklist. Call us today!