After anticipating moving day for weeks, months, or even years, it’s finally here. You pack the last box, and everything is ready to go. You go to bed for the last time in your old home, excited for what the morning will bring. Then, after a few hours’ solid sleep, you wake up to the unmistakable pitter-patter of raindrops.
Nothing puts a damper on your moving day quite like waking up to rain. But don’t let a little nasty weather get you down. After all, the show must go on, and moving in the rain can still be a stress-free experience.
Here’s how to survive a rainy moving day:
Top Tips for Moving in the Rain
Before You Leave
Nip rainy repercussions in the bud by making some last-minute preparations ahead of your move.
- Don’t panic. Unless it’s a severe storm, you can still go ahead with your move. And even then, the worst weather will likely die down within an hour or so.
- Wear appropriate clothing. If you’re moving in the rain, avoid getting water-logged by putting on a raincoat or poncho. Choose heavy gloves to keep your grip and sturdy boots to help prevent accidents.
- Double check that your belongings are protected. Use waterproof plastic sheets, plastic wrap, and moving blankets on everything.
Loading and Transport
You can prevent devastating water damage during the loading and transport process with careful attention to detail.
- Watch your step and be extra careful in the rain. Taking more time during this part can prevent frustrating setbacks and accidents.
- Hold cardboard boxes from the bottom so they don’t collapse in the rain.
- Once items are loaded, remove their coverings and check to see if they’re wet.
- Pay special attention to the condition of the roads. Find alternate routes or wait it out if you need to.
Before moving your belongings to their final destination in your new home, take a few minutes to discuss your game plan. This helps keep you, your belongings, and your pristine new home all reasonably dry.
- Line your entry with old towels, moving blankets, and anything else you can think of.
- Use tarps if the movers will be walking around on your carpets.
- If possible, have one inside crew and one outside crew to prevent a mess.
- Quickly uncover your belongings, and immediately unpack and air out anything wet.
How Professional Movers Can Help
Your best bet to survive a rainy moving day is planning ahead. This includes hiring professional local movers who have experience moving in every kind of weather.
Ameritex Movers are a top choice for all Houston Area moves. With over 15 years in the industry, you can bet that we won’t let a little rain stop us. We make it our mission to provide stress-free moves to all our customers — that’s why we have a referral rate of 95%. Call 713.484.6683 today to get started.