Ameritex Movers is excited to host our local National Night Out, an annual nationwide event designed to increase neighborhood awareness and support anti-crime efforts, on October 3.
Read on to learn about the many benefits for your neighborhood and your personal safety.
What Is National Night Out?
Since 1984, millions of neighbors have gathered together for NNO events. The purpose of NNO is to:
- Find community with your neighbors and bring them closer together.
- Learn about and participate in crime prevention methods.
- Develop positive relationships with local police.
- Show any would-be criminals that your neighborhood looks out for one another and has a strict anti-crime policy.
Join us Oct. 3 from 6 to 8 p.m., at 9200 W Sam Houston Pkwy S, Houston, TX 77099, for:
- Dragon dancers
- Food and drink
- Meet and greet with local law enforcement and emergency personnel
- Safety demonstrations
- Fellowship with neighbors
Bring the whole family — there’s something fun for everyone!
How Can I Make a Difference?
You don’t have to be in law enforcement to make a difference in crime prevention. Here are some Crime Stoppers-approved tips:
- Keep an eye out for suspicious activity. Look for things like service vehicles visiting a neighbor who isn’t home, or open doors or windows that are normally closed.
- Thwart crime by leaning on your neighbors. Look out for each other, show public support with block parties and barbecues, and find ways to be visible to potential criminals.
- Install alarms and security cameras.
- Care for your home’s upkeep and keep landscaping trimmed to prevent thieves from hiding in close proximity.
- Lock cars, close blinds when you’re gone, and never leave valuables in plain sight.
- Set reasonable limits for your children and know where they are at all times. Make sure they know their address and phone number, as well as some neighbors they can trust in case of emergency.
- Know how to report crime. For suspicious activity, call the non-emergency line of your local police. If you have a tip, call Crime Stoppers at 713.222.TIPS (8477).
Community awareness is one of the best tools you have to fight local crime. Attending a National Night Out event is a great way to learn about crime prevention, show your support for local law enforcement, and meet your neighbors.
Be sure to stop by the Ameritex headquarters and say hello on Oct. 3 from 6 to 8 p.m.!