Ahh, summer — the pool is open, everything moves just a little bit slower, and the kids are home from school. But if you’re like most families, at some point that break moves from restful to boring. What’s a frazzled parent to do? Check out our infographic below, or read on for our extensive list of activities for serious summer fun.
25 Ideas for Summer Fun with the Kiddos
Just Add Water
- Spend the day at a local water park, like Typhoon Texas, Splashway, or Schlitterbahn.
- Blow up water balloons and surprise them with an epic battle.
- Check out your neighborhood’s splash pad, a guaranteed crowd-pleaser for kids of all ages.
- Attend a fun film screening, poolside! Organize one if your area doesn’t offer it.
- For a hilarious version of an old favorite, play a game of Twister outside, with one person holding the water hose.
The Finer Things
- Take your littles to Houston’s Museum District. With over 19 museums, galleries, and cultural centers to peruse, you won’t run out of options this summer.
- Head to the Miller Outdoor Theatre for a free show.
- Take in a delightful Storybook Opera at Houston Grand Opera.
- Drop in for an impromptu art class at Mad Potter, Ceramics by Tess, or the Children’s Museum of Houston.
- Use the summer break to learn a language together with a fun app like Duolingo.
For Your Miniature Foodie
- If your kids enjoy baking, schedule a day a week where you try out a recipe together.
- Visit a teahouse for an authentic English High Tea.
- Take a cooking class together at Cooking with a Twist, Central Market, or Sur la Table if you have a teen.
- For a fun twist on a classic treat, make S’mores by wrapping them in foil and grilling for four to five minutes.
- There’s nothing like a lemonade stand to teach entrepreneurship at a young age. Just check local ordinances first.
The Great Outdoors
- Organize a neighborhood costume parade, complete with throwing candy.
- Create a scavenger hunt with items found in nature.
- With a little time, some cardboard boxes, and white paint, make your own outdoor Scrabble set.
- Shop at a Houston area farmers market for fresh local produce, all-natural meat, mouth-watering baked goods, and handmade toiletries.
- Put together a box of easy outdoor activities like chalk, hula hoops, and jump ropes. It’s an easy, budget-friendly remedy for boredom.
- Summer is the perfect time to sign the kids up for a dance, gymnastics, or sports camp.
- Look into the YMCA for tons of fun family programs.
- Hit the ice rink and beat the heat at the same time.
- Try something new together, like bird watching or horseback riding.
- Make the most of your neighborhood pool. Going early in the morning is best to avoid crowds.
There’s no chance of bored kiddos when you’re armed with these ideas for summer fun. And if you’re moving in the Houston area this summer, be sure to contact Ameritex for all your stress-free moving needs.
Call us today at 713.484.6683 for your complimentary quote.