If you’re like most people, moving homes ranks right up there with public speaking and changing diapers. Trying to organize your life and pack it away into boxes is intimidating, to say the least. So, that’s where we come in. More than 15 years of moving experience has taught us a thing or two about packing, and we can teach you how to pack like a pro. Check out our top 10 packing tips to reduce stress on moving day.
Top 10 Packing Tips for Home Moves
- First, weed out unwanted items. Sell and donate the belongings you don’t love anymore. Moving fewer items is always simpler.
- As you go through your things, organize by category. For example, bring all your clothes out and go through them once instead of one closet at a time.
- Pack boxes by room. Sort through your belongings by category, but pack by room. This will make your life easier when you have to unpack.
- Label boxes clearly and thoroughly. Write on each side of the box so no matter how you turn it, you can clearly see where it belongs.
- Create a box spreadsheet. If you have some time, number your boxes and create a coordinating spreadsheet that lists each box and its contents. That way, you’ll always be able to find a specific item if you need it quickly.
- Pack weighty items in smaller boxes, and light items in larger boxes. Books, for example, should never slide around in a large box by themselves — it’s impossible to carry.
- Save space by using large items as containers. Since you’re bringing along your various baskets, crates, and luggage, you might as well store smaller belongings inside them.
- Wrap and seal everything. Use paper or bubble wrap for fragile items. Also wrap tape or plastic wrap around bottles containing liquid. Then, seal boxes with packing tape.
- Transport electronics in their original boxes, if possible. No moving box will protect your expensive equipment as well as its original packaging.
- Lastly, pack overnight essentials separately. You have one of two options — pack necessities like toiletries, snacks, and paper goods in a clear plastic box, or bring them with you in a carry-on bag. Either way, you’ll have it handy for that first night away.
Packing to move shouldn’t be one of the most difficult situations in life. With the simple tips above and a little planning, you’ll be able to relax and look forward to getting settled in your new home.
Interested in letting the experts show you how to move? Contact us for a free moving quote.