Saving the planet starts at home. There are many small steps you can take to create a cleaner earth and reduce your carbon footprint. And if the knowledge that you’re doing your part to make the world a better place isn’t enough, there are financial incentives to do so, as well. Here are some environmentally friendly actions you can do now to conserve resources, make your home greener, and save money.
How to Make Your Home More Environmentally Friendly
These are seven easy steps you can take at home to make your environment cleaner, greener, and healthier for the planet. Most of the green hacks will result in lower energy usage and smaller utility bills. It’s a win-win!
1. Replace your traditional light bulbs. Instead of using traditional light bulbs, replace the bulbs in your house with LEDs or CFLs. These types of bulbs last longer and save energy.
2. Create an indoor garden. Having plants improves the indoor air quality because they absorb environmental pollutants. Plus, they make great decor pieces and really bring your place to life. Talk about having a green home!
3. Buy energy-efficient appliances. When it’s time to update your appliances, be sure the ones you purchase have the Energy Star certification sticker. These are specially designed to use less energy.
4. Start composting. Put your organic food waste in a compost bin, and use the resulting soil to grow your garden. This helps reduce landfill use, too.
5. Use environmentally friendly, non-toxic cleaning products. Harsh chemicals are bad for the environment, and you can even make your own safe cleaning product with baking soda.
6. Let natural light in. Open the shutters and curtains, and let that natural light in to brighten your home. On sunny days, there’s no need to turn on the lights.
7. Be energy-conscious. Take shorter showers. Unplug chargers and electronics that aren’t in use — standby mode is a major energy suck. Turn off the AC or heater when you’re not home. Turn off lights when you’re not in the room.
As you can see, many environmentally friendly tactics are super simple and don’t dramatically impact your lifestyle. You can even get the kids involved with taking care of the indoor garden. Keep reading to learn about the financial benefits of green living.
Financial Incentives for Green Upgrades
Not only do environmentally friendly actions help the planet, but they’re good for your wallet, too. Green upgrades lower your utility bills because they’re designed to help you use less energy. On top of that, some tax credits may apply. Click here to see the tax credits and rebates for Texas.
Looking for Houston Movers?
If you’re ready to make your move into a green home in Houston, Ameritex Movers is the team for you. Our moving team serves all corners of the Greater Houston area — from Downtown to The Woodlands. We’ve been serving the area since 2001, and know our way around. We love moving and specialize in stress-free moves. Not only do we help perform moves into green homes, we also handle office and apartment moves.