Moving to a new place is a major life event. Whether you’re moving from across the country, state, or city, good planning and preparation still go a long way in making a move or relocation successful. Learn more about what to expect in your upcoming move and how to make it flawless with these relocating tips.
Moving to Houston for Work
Houston’s booming economy, Fortune 500 companies, Energy Corridor, and more equal lots of job opportunities in the Bayou City. That means many people from all over the country are relocating to Houston for work. The energy/oil industry is the main driver of the Houston economy, but other major contributors are healthcare, biomedical research, and aerospace.
If you are moving for a job, this is what you need to know:
- Houston is a young city.
- It is very hot and humid.
- There’s no state income tax.
- There are no zoning laws — you never know what might pop up next door!
- Be prepared for traffic — it might be a good idea to live near your office.
- Houston is widely diverse and multicultural.
Check out this guide from Forbes to determine if a job relocation is the right move for you.
Relocating can be scary because it involves upheaving the roots you planted in your old home. But it can truly be a great experience for your life, family, and career. All you have to do is have a positive attitude, get ready to start fresh, and prepare for your move.
1. Plan a trip or two to scope out the new city before you move there.
2. If you’re relocating for work, ask if your employer will help cover moving costs. Bonus tip: your moving expenses might be tax deductible. Find out and keep your records!
3. Decide if you want to bring everything you own or start new.
4. Hire professional movers. This way, the move itself is one less thing for you to worry about.
5. Check out our info center for a hub of moving and packing tips and advice.
6. Don’t arrive in your new city the day before you start work. Give yourself some time to explore your new surroundings.
7. Rent first, then decide if you want to buy a place in your new city.
8. Attend networking events near you to meet people in your industry.
If you’re moving to Houston, contact Ameritex for help with the move or more relocating tips. We’re happy to help guide you through the moving process and tell you more about our stress-free guarantee. Call us today at (713) 484-6683.