What is your worst nightmare when it comes to the moving process? Unpacking your boxes and finding dozens of broken items? Realizing that valuable possessions are missing? Being charged hundreds more than your moving company estimated?
Unfortunately, not every moving company has the customer’s best interests at heart. Even worse, some “companies” are nothing more than a scam designed to cheat you out of your hard-earned money.
In this post, we’ll lay out some tips to help you easily spot a disreputable moving company. Protect yourself by being aware of the types of movers Houston residents and families should avoid.
Finding Local Moving Companies
The most important thing you can do when hiring a moving company is ask people you trust for referrals.
Most likely, you’ll have friends or family who can point you in the right direction. If not, your realtor is your best bet. He or she should know several companies who provide reliable moving services in your area.
If you don’t know anyone who can recommend a moving company, search online and pick the three that appear most reputable. From there, ask these companies for references within the last three months. Check with Yelp or Angie’s List to make sure everything is on the up-and-up.
Verifying Moving Credentials
Next, it’s crucial that you follow through and make sure your moving company is legitimate.
- Screen the company. Visit the Better Business Bureau’s website. Movingscam.com is a great resource for weeding out dishonest movers.
- Ask for USDOT (U.S. Department of Transportation) and MC (motor carrier) numbers. You can easily verify these with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Your movers should provide you with a copy of “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move.” This is federal law, so if they don’t give it to you, don’t hire them.
- Get a written estimate and carefully review it before you sign anything. You should see an hourly rate, as well as additional costs like a trip charge and supplies. Ask questions if something isn’t clear.
- Look over those estimates with a critical eye. If the price is crazy low, something is wrong. Don’t hire cheap movers in Houston just because you’re trying to save a buck.
- Take your time. If a company representative tries to rush you, be suspicious.
Local Movers Houston Loves
Once you’ve followed the steps above, you can make your decision with confidence. Follow your gut and don’t skip anything just because it’s time-consuming. Remember, you’re dealing with your money and your belongings, so it’s essential that you do the homework.
If you’re searching for honest movers Houston loves, look no further! Ameritex has more than a decade of experience, and we offer a Move Day Guarantee. In addition, all of the information you need for verification is available right on our homepage. Fill out the form on the right for a complimentary quote.