Relocating your Houston-area business can be beneficial for many reasons. After all, Houston has one of the best economies in the country, yet office space is still relatively inexpensive. Even though this is the ideal environment for an office move, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the details.
Read on to follow our comprehensive office relocation checklist for a stress-free office move. For your convenience, feel free to print this list out and cross off tasks as needed.
6 Months to A Year Before Your Move
General Office Moving Tasks
- Change your address. Notify the IRS, Secretary of State, State Department of Revenue, and your locality and county for permits.
- Mail moving notices to financial institutions, professional organizations, and subscriptions.
- Secure any required licenses.
- Schedule IT as needed.
- Notify your customers and vendors in a timely manner.
- Create a master inventory list.
- Change over office utilities.
- Reserve elevators and docks for the move.
- Ensure your business is listed in the directory of the new office building.
- Communicate often with your staff and make sure they know their responsibilities.
- Draft an all-encompassing master task list.
- If your business is large, delegate tasks to appropriate managers.
- Create a floor plan or seating chart for the new space.
- Set up storage space.
- Decide if you need professional packing and unpacking services.
- If not, create detailed labels and pack everything carefully, down to the last drawer.
- Schedule safety training in the new office.
- Arrange for a cleaning crew.
- Inventory and collect keys and parking permits for the current office.
- Pass out keys, badges, and codes for the new office.
- Do a walk-through of the new building, ensuring everything is in order.
- Have a manager at both locations to supervise.
- Bring a contact list for vendors, building management, maintenance, and anyone else who might be helpful in an emergency.
- Leave a clear path for IT to come in and set up.
- Have your vendor tune up copy machines for optimum performance.
- Distribute a list of new phone numbers and department locations.
- Check large or important items off inventory list as they’re unloaded.
- Perform a walk-through of your former office and turn in all keys and parking permits.
- Lastly, inquire about your deposit and how it will be returned.
Ready To Schedule Your Office Move?
Was this office relocation checklist helpful? Well, there’s a lot more expert knowledge where that came from! Ameritex Movers is here to help. We are the smart choice for office relocation in the Greater Houston Area. With over 15 years of industry experience, we know every nook and cranny in town. On top of that, we understand the ins and outs of moving your sensitive documents and office equipment, and our moving crews are equipped with the latest knowledge and best office moving practices.
You can fill out our easy form at the top of the page for a complimentary moving quote. Or, contact us each day from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., and we will happily answer all of your questions. And be sure to ask about our full-service moving package for the ultimate in stress-free office moving!