You moved successfully, you unpacked the boxes, and your new place is starting to feel like home. Now, the only thing left to make your new environment more homey is to get involved in your local community. The first step to building community starts with your new neighbors. Getting to know them and making a great first impression can have lots of benefits in the long run. Here are some tips for meeting the new neighbors.
Why You Should Meet the New Neighbors
Knowing the people in your neighborhood is a great way to foster a sense of community and inclusion. Plus, your neighbors have been living in the area longer than you, so they likely have plenty of knowledge about your surroundings. Some more reasons you should befriend your new neighbors is to:
- Provide a safer community
- Build strong friendships
- Feel more at home
- Help your children make new friends
- Save last-minute grocery runs — need to borrow a cup of flour?
How to Meet New Neighbors
It can be intimidating to introduce yourself to neighbors for the first time, but the benefits far outweigh any potential awkwardness. Here are a few ideas for how to make that initial meeting.
Just Say Hi!
Knock on the door and introduce yourself. It’s not that scary, we promise! This connection pays off in the long run, because you’ll start to feel safer in your neighborhood knowing who lives near you, and you’ll have a great source for local happenings. Because you’ll be meeting a lot of different people, one idea for keeping track of everyone is to create a neighborhood map. On your map, you can add your neighbors’ names to it so you can match their names to a house.
Host a Housewarming Party
A housewarming party like a barbecue or open house is a great way to meet your new neighbors. If you invite them to your party, you’ll get to chat with them in your own environment, and this could score you invitations to their events, as well.
Bring a Treat
The best way to a new neighbor’s heart is through their stomach. Make a wonderful first impression by bringing over your signature pie or a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. This is also a good way to break the ice if you didn’t introduce yourself right off the bat.
Getting Involved in the Community
Not only do you want to meet your next door neighbors, mailman, and other important people in your neighborhood, but you probably want to get to know the community as well.
Here are some ways to be a part of the local community:
- Take a class. Whether it’s Zumba, yoga, gardening, or something else, taking a community class is a great way to meet people. Try Groupon to find great deals on local studios and courses.
- Volunteer. Help clean up the nearby park, volunteer at the local animal shelter, or collect donations. Meet people while bettering your surroundings. You can find volunteer opportunities on VolunteerMatch and Volunteer Houston.
- Try Meetup.com. Get together with people in your area with common interests. You might be surprised by how many other people nearby share your niche hobby!
Overall, moving to a new place can be scary, but there are so many opportunities to make the most of your situation. Getting to know your new neighbors and community involvement will help you feel at home and settled in. If you’re ready to move to Houston, call Ameritex Movers today to schedule your stress-free move.